Saturday, April 7, 2018

dandelion heads


My (academic) enthusiasm for dandelions will come as no news to many of you: they are a star exhibit in my current work on Victorian close observation of the natural world, its relationship to contemporary ecology, and to critical practice artists who, in adapting Victorian methods/allusions, draw attention to the relevance of C19th natural preoccupations to today's environmental crises.  That's such a mouthful that every time I try to articulate what I'm doing it comes out differently, but I keep practicing my back-of-a-postcard version (at some point, "back-of-a-postcard" became "elevator speech," but I'm old school and still write postcards).

What I've been missing, though, are my own dandelion images - not of the golden, sun-like heads, but of the seeded puffballs.  Not only did I find three in the back yard this afternoon (whilst heading out to put coffee grounds round the young avocado tree ...), but, as I was posing them, a gust of wind made them behave like dandelions ...





If I print these up as a set - which I may well - I shall probably use the first image that I took as a kind of book-end.


No comments:

Post a Comment