Monday, October 8, 2018

another sign of Halloween


... and one that's not nearly as scary as yesterday's.  On the other hand ... maybe scary in another way, since it's in the window of USC's Environmental Studies Program, and seems composed of the most environmentally unsound plastic products imaginable.  This led me into a rabbit hole - a rabbit warren - of wondering what our Environmental Studies BA looks like, and finding that - were I hypothetically to take it - I would have to pass a compulsory course in calculus - one that seems aimed at business and economics.  In turn, this led me to look at past final exams - full of the kind of practical questions about break-even points for price-to-sell-at-a-profit hockey tickets to a stadium of a certain capacity, or about brewing beer (I assume Kavanaugh must have done a calculus course?).  The last time I looked at any calculus I was 16 - we had covered our O level math syllabus, and were allowed to do some more advanced work as a treat.  I'll re-punctuate that: as a "treat."  Maybe I should take a calculus course and conquer my demons, even as I feel my anxiety levels rising by merely looking at an exam ...

No comments:

Post a Comment