Friday, February 22, 2019

lounging about


It's been a long last nine months - time for a couple of days' birthday vacation!  Here's the view from a rather fine balcony on Kauai; here are some monk seals lounging on the beach (with some stakes and ropes round them, and a notice logging their arrival this morning - three males, estimated ages 4/5/5).

It doesn't escape my consciousness that if I were still in the UK, not only would I be weeping and gnashing my teeth over Brexit, but I would be facing mandatory retirement, at least so far as I remember the terms of my last contract.  That's a sobering, chilling thought in a number of ways.  Not to say that this Department Chair doesn't, some days, harbor fantasies (of, say, being on a beach in Hawai'i, rather than dealing with admin) - but it's not just that all of us, inside, are surely still 27 or whatever; it's that I'm nowhere near ready to - what's the best metaphor? - relinquish my office key?  Hand in my library card?  I promise that I'll step down, step away when I think the moment has come, but I'm deeply, deeply grateful not to be told when that moment might be solely on the grounds of my year of birth.


No comments:

Post a Comment