Monday, April 29, 2019

slices of the South Bank


A quick trip into London to see the Bonnard exhibition.  My biggest take-away: one Bonnard in a gallery is a cheerful thing; a gallery full of Bonnard paintings - eight or nine rooms of them - is by far too many; too bright; too little evidence (and now I sound really carpy and old fashioned) that he can draw.  But I guess I hadn't realised that he'd carried on painting more or less the same paintings until after WW2 ...  In any case, I enjoyed the walk along the Embankment - I always do - with high tide on the Thames sloshing around.  Here's a slice of Blackfriars Station that I don't recollect ever seeing before quite like this, and a Mexican big cat, just as bright, and much more appealing to me, than M. Bonnard ...


No comments:

Post a Comment