Tuesday, December 21, 2010

family photos


One of the things that I really, really wanted to do for Christmas chez my parents was to scan a whole lot of old slides - mostly from 1970 and 1974 - I think - but with a few older strays thrown in as well.   So I carried a large scanner in my luggage from NJ to NM last week - plus the boxes of slides - because I knew that I'd have the time and space there.   This was not a plan that took into consideration snow, ice, and Heathrow's inability to clear their after-effects.   (And if anyone thinks of being helpful, synchronising my father's computer and Dropbox is mysteriously challenging, so far).

But one thing I did learn (other than the fact that Kodachrome slide film endures far better than Ektachrome) is that it's not the well focused, carefully composed pictures that are the most evocative forty years (forty years! ouch!) later.   So in the spirit of that discovery, here's Alice holding up a wriggling Emmett in the kitchen today.   Sure, there are a handful of neat, happy, smiling human-and-cat images, but this is the only one that seems alive, for all its technical flaws.

No comments:

Post a Comment