Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 fades away ...


It's the end of 2011, fading away over the Sandias.  It's the end of the year ritualistic sunset post.  It's a time for reflection on the year past, of course, a great deal of which seems to have been spent in motion - not just between New Jersey and California and New Mexico, although, admittedly, that's been the most frequent trajectory.  So a good number of my New Year's resolutions seem to have to do with trying to feel focused (settled might be too much to hope for, and in any case, I don't know that I like "settled"), and trying to calm distractions, digital and otherwise.  Not that this excludes travel (and indeed, 2012 promises to be a year with a good deal of traveling in it) - but it does mean managing to sit still for more than five minutes at a time without either googling or reaching out my hand for another book, a different book, another piece of paper (yes, I still use the products of dead trees).  And if I do, indeed, reach out for paper, I want, this year, to make myself draw on it, rather than read it (or write on it), more often than I do, or more often than I've done for years.  So ... an hour and a half to go, here in New Mexico, and it'll be 2012, and all those resolutions, voiced and private, will roll into being. 

It's going to be a good year.  Happy 2012, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment