Thursday, February 9, 2012

flashy dressing room

 

I was terrifically impressed by the fact that I had my own dressing room when speaking at MOCA tonight!  I was even asked if I minded water in a bottle - as someone who was very grateful to have water at all (driving round the block several times in rush hour looking for the Disney Concert Hall parking had rendered me late and hysterical, I'd have drunk it in whatever form) - this seemed quite a refinement, but I was told that Some Speakers refused to touch plastic drinking materials.  Note to self - must work on diva characteristics.  There were no blue M&Ms, either.

I was talking about Weegee, talking about flash, talking about how the presence of flash in a photo makes one aware of the artificiality of the medium - and in the case of Weegee in Hollywood, this doubles up with his awareness of the artificiality of celebrity and the star system - all the management of wardrobes; all the makeup; all the dressing rooms and general backstage atmosphere.  It was only in the nick of time that I realised where I was myself - dressing room, minimalist version.

No comments:

Post a Comment