Sunday, October 28, 2012

seasonal


Alice isn't taking a photo of a two-headed snake: what happens right at the end of October is that the big cactus on our front steps comes into bloom.  We think that this year, there are about twenty four flowers.  Maybe they'll be out tomorrow, especially if it stays warm.

How strange it is to be following Hurricane Sandy from afar - NJ is so very familiar, and it's not just that I'm concerned for friends there (and in adjacent states, to be sure), but that I find myself worrying about where the basement in Graham Street will flood - even though that's hardly my problem to be worrying about.  Here we are, three thousand miles away, on a calm and clear and very warm day - and yet imaginatively it's impossible, for me, not to be in the north east.

No comments:

Post a Comment