Monday, April 21, 2014

the shrine, from the ground up



I normally admire The Shrine from the roof of the car park, not from the sidewalk - something that I remedied en route to CVS today (where I was asked if I had a Senior Card.  That so did not make my day I don't know where to begin.  And it's not as though I was looking particularly decrepit and downtrodden - indeed until that very moment, I'd been walking along very happily, thinking what a perfect spring day it was).  This was erected in 1925/6 - in full Hollywood orientalist mode - just a couple of years after the previous incarnation had burned down - in 45 minutes!  Here it is, going up in flames ...  That building in the foreground, on the USC campus, is Old College - standing where Taper Hall (home to the English Department) is now ...



No comments:

Post a Comment