Saturday, October 1, 2016

in a drought


This is a very pretty stream, but it shouldn't have been flowing down our road - which it was, today, for hours - while meanwhile Griffith Park caught fire behind us.  Mercifully, a super-fast and efficient set of fire-fighting crews and a helicopter or two put it out, very quickly - but it burned five acres, which is quite scary enough.  Many thanks to the LAFD.  (and if that sounds very melodramatic, I was actually unaware for quite a while - no smell or sight of smoke or flames from our house, and I was deep into revising an article, until, after a while, I realized that there was an unnatural amount of noise from sirens and helicopters, even for LA ...).  Still ... don't waste water ... we don't have any of the naturally occurring stuff (and yes, I am aware of the irony that today's the day I publish a review article in Public Books about English weather ...).

No comments:

Post a Comment