Friday, December 16, 2016

december dawn


The decidedly blurred contours of this photo can be attributed to my rushing out this morning, before it disappeared, in my bare feet.  You'll understand that I didn't want to spend too long standing there - even if it wasn't as cold this morning as it's going to be in the next few days.  I kept thinking about Lorraine Daston's recent article on cloud physiognomy in Representations (summer 2016), in which she talks about the history and difficulties attendant on taxonomising clouds - always changing, yet with generic similarities - cumulus, cirrus, and so on.  In other words, they're much like mutable human faces - alike, but never the same, and never in repose.  Today the clouds have been endlessly moving their shapes and colors as a storm comes in over the mountains - though I think we'll miss the brunt of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment