Tuesday, April 24, 2018

a (sort of) rosette for Flash!


When I'm lucky enough to get some kind of accolade, my father likes to pretend I'm been awarded a rosette, that I've had what Americans call a ribbon pinned to my bridle - a relic of the days in which I proudly cantered round a ring having won Best Junior Rider, or being placed third in Jumping, 13.2 and under; or second in a dressage event, or whatever it might have been.  It's been a long time since I amassed a drawer of those.  And this isn't actually a rosette, but a medal (it's even got my name the other side!) from tonight's Academic Honors Convocation, with USC's colors in scarlet and gold.  There's also a ridiculously large citation.  Actually, it's more like take-home time from the Richmond-Upon-Thames drama festival (Shakespeare, under 16) ... an impassioned rendering of Imogen discovering the headless body of Cloten, if I remember right - which, since the speech contains the lines "All curses madded Hecuba gave the Greeks, / And mine to boot, be darted on thee!" was remarkably prescient of USC ...

No comments:

Post a Comment