Monday, December 2, 2019

let it snow, etc


I have to confess to a deep dislike of Christmas Songs - even when they are beautifully arranged and executed, as was the case at the USC President's Holiday Party this evening (which, I'll say in passing, was a wonderfully unpretentious affair, after the Nikias Era).  "Let it Snow," and "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" make the hairs on my spine crinkle with embarrassment, for reasons that I tried to work out this evening.  To me, they seem very American, and hence Foreign - unlike traditional Christmas carols (which I love - so this isn't some kind of seasonal allergy) - so they reinforce a sense that I'm 6,000 miles from music that I traditionally associate with this time of year.  I also deeply suspect that I imbibed my mother's prejudices, although I can't remember, if I ever knew, what they were based on.  Almost certainly what she called The Americanization of Christmas played a role ...

No comments:

Post a Comment