Sunday, July 19, 2026

watchful eye


We're not sure if we have one Cooper's Hawk or two.  Either way. Coopy (and maybe Coupette) have been watching me all day, with breaks to do hawk-like things, like sit on the roof, or chase after a small bird.  They must have discarded a small deceased rodent in the yard at some point, because a raven came and removed that.  I do find this supervision a little pressurizing, as I grapple with these final book stages, rewriting, reordering, anxiously word-counting and counting again, and finding that the picture captions (which aren't the kind of thing one can argue with) are taking up a whole lot more words than I would like them to.  It's as though they know that the emphasis of my book is on the non-human natural world, and they feel justified in asserting their presence.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment