This is very often my last-night in England view: St Pancras, from the Standard hotel, which is remarkably well positioned for making an exit the next morning. It looks remarkably like the Palacio de las Aguas Corrientes in Buenos Aires ...
It was a real treat to go round the amazing Whistler exhibition with Carol Jacobi, its curator - as she reminded me, it's 28 years since I examined her PhD ... so good, always, to hear what principles went into the show's making; what had been cleaned especially for it and what the x-rays showed, and so on. And then we talked for an age, and I only had time to go back to it fairly briefly (but I'll see it again, I hope, when it comes to DC). There was a lot that was new to me, especially the very early works - I especially liked Chelsea in Ice (1864). Given how hot this trip has been (a record dry July), this is truly a record of another era.



No comments:
Post a Comment