Friday, January 3, 2020

moth, dreaming


So this is what I feel.  I know the world is scary, indeed, beyond fucked up.  When I look at FB, though (and no, I'm not about to migrate to MeWe or anywhere, despite all the myriad problems with FB - at least we know roughly what they are ) - when I look at FB, I don't always want to be reminded, once again, of how terrible everything is.  I get this from news sites - indeed, the ones to which my friends often link.  I get this incessantly: I'm too much of a compulsive news junkie.   Rather, I want to know how you are.  It doesn't have to be "good news" - it could be (though I truly hope it's not) that your mother has died; your cat has died; a three hundred year old tree in your neighborhood has been blown down by a gale.  What I value about FB is the sense of intimately shared humanity that it gives - not shared news distress at the world.  So I want to see the view from your front door this morning; your kids going back to school; your dismay that your favorite neighborhood bar has closed.  I write this with a Janus-eye, because of course I know I gain immeasurably from reading suggestions, from links to debates about current issues, and so on, ad infinitum.  That, in many respects - beyond the immediate and intimate - is why I don't abandon FB.   But still - please contemplate the fact that Moth's paws may actually bring you more calm and happiness today than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment