Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Fortress USC


Getting on and off campus today had its challenges (only a couple of gates are open; there are bag as well as ID inspections; there are barricades everywhere; there are security officers with guns. I found my route out of the parking garage today mysteriously blocked by a row of lime green cones, which I had to get out of my car and move - I mean, what else was I going to do?).  But perhaps the most unusual sight of all were these semi-mobile barricades, hired from Meridian Rapid Defense Group, whose website tells me "MERIDIAN Rapid Defense Group is a global provider of state-of-the-art vehicle mitigation solutions. Meridian's SAFETY Act certified pure mobile, anti-ram, anti-vehicle barriers offer rapid deployment without electricity, hydraulics or heavy equipment. They also allow for pedestrian and emergency vehicle access. Sales and rental available."  What are they expecting?  Tanks?  

Meanwhile, the University Senate passed a vote of censure on our President and Provost for how they've handled the last few weeks, which seems about right.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment