Sunday, May 5, 2024

pretty, but ...


I try so often, so hard, to get to Santa Fe when our lilac is out - and I've hit lucky: this is peak time, if not peak day.  It smells quite wonderful.

But ... I never planned on being here.  We are lucky/wise, in that we sign up to an app called Eye on Water, which alerts one if it spots a leak.  It did, on Thursday night/Friday.  A small leak, seemingly - of about 6 gallons an hour.  A kind neighbor checked the house to see that water wasn't pouring out of anywhere, and all was dry (it still is).  So I called up American Leak Detection, who said they could come round tomorrow afternoon, and booked a quick flight accordingly (out today, back early Tuesday). By Saturday morning, the leak was a scary 48 gallons an hour.  Imagine!  So I called the water company - Eldorado Area Water and Sewage Department - and Brenda there deserves a medal: even though it was a weekend, she came out and turned the water off at the mains (ummmm, yes, that means there's no water at all, apart from what I bought this evening and carted here in large plastic bottles).  But at least I should know what's going on.  There's not a hint of dampness anywhere between the house and the road, 300 feet or so away.  And of course it's great to be here, if disorienting and tiring, since I have three million deadlines, and a great wodge of grading about to arrive in my inbox.



 

2 comments:

  1. Walter GomezMay 06, 2024

    How mysterious! Perhaps a critter caused the havoc... I hope you get to the bottom of the leak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's just Age. I'd like to blame the gophers, but probably can't ...

    ReplyDelete