Monday, December 24, 2012

fielders


I've been going to Fielders on Wimbledon Hill as long as I can remember.  I thought that I'd better check this, and found that the shop was, indeed, founded in 1928, so I'm safe in that assertion ... it was set up by the sons of the guy who was a pioneering Wimbledon photographer, for their wives.  When it started - and when I first remember it - it was a bookstore.  I used to go to the children's paperback section at the back to spend Christmas book tokens and the like on Armada paperbacks like Jill Enjoys Her Ponies and Show Jumping Secret, and the store also sold stationery, so I'm sure that it fed my early stationery fetishist tendencies.  And it sold things like Osmeroid fountain pens with Italic Fine Oblique nibs that were indispensable to me.  Sometime in the 1980s, I think, it gave up on books and went over entirely to art and crafts supplies - as indicated by the current festive decorations - masks strung around, and a wild white paper dress being worn by, a huge wooden artist's model doll, then threaded with tiny fairy lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment