Saturday, December 22, 2012

remember what happened to the dinosaur


It was pouring wet in Oxford today, or this image wouldn't be so deeply murky.  It must be forty years to the month that I first made the acquaintance of the Keble Dinosaur (s/he has been repainted many times since then, and grown a couple of siblings - notably a blue one to the right that's labeled "I did, and look what happened to me."  I read it first (and, I'm sure, correctly) as a warning to Oxford's establishment about what happens if one doesn't embrace, or believe in, change, or if one simply can't adapt.  Now, it seems like a warning against Going Back in any way except on the briefest of visits to see dear friends (or, presumably, on some occasion, to do some kind of academic business) - it does, indeed, feel very good to have Moved On.

No comments:

Post a Comment