Wednesday, November 27, 2013

crosstown


It was over to UCLA tonight for volleyball (we won, emphatically), and just as we have Tommy Trojan (albeit with a dead bear hanging from his sword) wrapped up in protective cladding, just like that weird statue of Traveler, so do UCLA guard their statuary mascot, boarded up against marauding USC fans.  At least there's a modicum of wit about this.  I think - as I know I've observed before - that I'm very glad - I guess I should say Thankful, remembering the season - that I didn't grow up in the US - it allows me to approach all kinds of things from a vantage point half way between that of a tourist and an anthropologist, and to enjoy things that I'm sure, if I were a native, that I'd find far to uncool to take pleasure in.

No comments:

Post a Comment