Sunday, September 8, 2019

USC football and various surprises


We can start with the fact that we routed Stanford, which certainly counts as a surprise.  But first, getting to the game - a parrot.  I took a somewhat circuitous route, for various reasons, which included a ride on the Expo line.  I can only assumed that this bird screeches FIGHT ON at apposite moments.


Then I was so super-happy-surprised to see my friend and colleague Rebecca Lemon appear on the big screen (the big new shiny renovated Coliseum screen) as the Faculty Profile for this game that I didn't think to raise a lens at the time - just shrieked applause - but here she is afterwards - plus Marc - celebrating against the background of the new extraordinarily comfortable seats in the President's Suite.  Did I mention that they were new?  So much better and less formal than the old days of horrible pre-game receptions in Town and Gown (I get invited to partake in this luxury once a year - so happy I picked Stanford this time ...).

And Surprise 3 was that I hadn't known that USC has, for the first time, a woman drum major - so she gets to plunge the sword into the hallowed turf at the start of the game.  This seems highly suitable for the general take-over by women at USC.  No pic of her doing this - instead, the Flame, lit at the start of the 4th, with the Goodyear Blimp above it.


2 comments:

  1. Walter GomezSeptember 08, 2019

    We greatly approve of USC's win over Stanford (who? is this a new school...?) and the colossal celebration of our dear Rebecca and Marc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a true evening to remember and to celebrate!!

      Delete