Thursday, October 8, 2020

the emptiness of campus


I braved it to campus today.  I needed to get a flu shot, and I have to say - it was extraordinarily efficient and distanced and well organized.  Indeed, the whole of campus is impressively labeled with all the signs that one needs to practice distancing (although the hallway of Taper shows some impossibility ahead - there were no indications how one can possibly keep 6 feet away from people in a corridor).  The stairs only suggest that one goes up one side, and down the other.  But there was hand-sanitizer everywhere.

It was, however, very sad in its emptiness: a ghost university.  There were some students standing glumly in a symptomatic-testing line; a handful of athletes, and that was about it.  There were check points everywhere - I had to show my Day Pass, on my cell phone, twice before I even got as far as the parking garage.  I couldn't wait to leave again - I picked up two books from my room - and picked out a third, and left it behind, so rapidly was I exiting.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment