Monday, April 11, 2016

photog


Waiting in front of me for the train to pass, in Durham ... I wouldn't perhaps have given so much thought to the driver's occupation if I hadn't been negotiating some fine distinctions this last week or so, as I write a chapter on ... on what, exactly?  On flash and vernacular photography, as opposed to Professional Photography ... but the problem becomes how to distinguish between amateur and professional, or what a professional does when they're not taking photographs for money, and then between "serious amateur" and ... and what?  "Snapshooter," or "snapper" were useful terms a few decades back, somewhat pejorative though they were.  And that's before I take national difference into account.  So "photog" - over and beyond the fact that they are probably committed to taking photogs - I'm not going to assume I could be more specific.

No comments:

Post a Comment