Tuesday, November 22, 2016

which city?


Well, of course, it's Los Angeles - or to be more precise, a building in West Hollywood, seen from Santa Monica Boulevard.  But I love the fact that this could be mistaken for all kind of southern European cities, or central or south American ones: it reminds me of the sense that I had when I very first visited, in the late 1980s, that this was more southern European in appearance than so much of the rest of America (I was reading Rayner Banham at the time, and so of course was also highly alert to the mutability of LA, to the fact that in architectural/urban essence, one can choose one's own city, and choose or re-invent one's own identity, too).  I didn't know it at the time, but it's really no surprise that I ended up here ...

No comments:

Post a Comment