Monday, March 11, 2024

sheaf (and a Photoshop experiment)


 


This morning, the sunlight was hitting this sheaf of corn and garlic stems - a rural decoration that's been here for an age, and, when I originally bought it at the farmers' market, had a whole lot of very viable fat Purple Russian garlic bulbs at the bottom - they're still there, but dessicated.

When I looked at the photo I'd taken, I'd not managed to avoid the ugly (from a photographic point of view) central heating thermostat on the wall.  So I thought I'd perform a rare - for me - manipulation, and remove it.  And then ... I decided, instead, to use (for the first time) Photoshop's generative AI tool.  And lo and behold - there's a new, discreet, electrical feature on the wall.  AI doesn't quite get the perspective right - and now I wonder: was this the tool that Kate Middleton was playing with?  Or what?  The degrees, the subtle degrees of manipulation in the latest Mothering Sunday photo of KM and the royal children actually betrays a great deal of small scale fiddling around - so much so that I very much wish I was teaching a photo-history-and-theory course right now, and could bring it in as an object lesson ...

No comments:

Post a Comment