Friday, January 20, 2017

waking up this morning ...


It was beautiful this morning in Wimbledon - a thick frost on the ground; a clear blue sky - and I looked out onto the garden from the room that I've been sleeping in - well, on and off - since 1961, and everything seemed very quiet and peaceful...

Oh, come on: let's try that again.  It was still dark when I got up - got up finally, because I couldn't stop myself checking the news all the way through the night (what did I expect? that Trump would keel over with the stress of it all?  That a missile would land on DC?), and in any case, I was just so worried about what's going to happen.  Trump's speech - and no, I couldn't prevent myself watching it, mitigated a tiny bit by doing so on BBC, with bemused, horrified, cynical, wry bits of commentary accompanying it.  It was certainly not  a speech addressed to me, as a non-citizen of the US, and it didn't exactly encourage me to race for citizenship (unless I should do so immediately, so I don't get deported when I demonstrate).  And in any case, I couldn't sleep for anxiety about the paper I'm giving tomorrow; anxiety about my parents; anxiety, anxiety, anxiety.  I was, let's just say, grateful for the sunshine here, and deeply glad that it rained on the Orange One's parade.

No comments:

Post a Comment