Wednesday, September 27, 2017

side-eye


Having a C19th horse as one's shower curtain, the arch of the bath alcove serving as a stable door, is, of course, a nod to my equine past.  But there's also a strange, knowing form of surveillance at work. I've turned round to confront that eye here.  A horse rolling its eyes, showing the whites, doubtless tilting its ears backwards as well, almost certainly is about to raise a hind hoof to kick you, or it's going to lunge forward and try to take a chunk out of your arm with its long yellow teeth.  I'm taking no risks.  But seeing that eye in the mirror, as I do every morning or evening, as I brush my teeth or wave a mascara wand in the direction of my own eyes - then it seems more conspiratorial, less adversarial; then it becomes an emblem of a need for watchfulness.  It's hard to regard that side-glancing eye in any comfortable light, however ...

No comments:

Post a Comment