Sunday, December 2, 2018

deck the halls


It's hard to get my head around the fact that notwithstanding the awfulness of this last week, I was set to have been here in any case for four days - a paper in Cambridge (canceled, alas), and a meeting tomorrow (never have I looked forward to a serious admin-type meeting so much).  So here I am, temporarily liberated from sorting and bagging and doing emotional support work, and strolling through Covent Garden en route to some Indian food, and trying to reconcile Christmas stuff with, well, everything else.

Only ... a split second after I took this, a really violent fight broke out, with security guards running to assist and to separate the men involved.  It had me very relieved that I was in central London, not the US, which minimized the likelihood of any party using a firearm, and ensured that I had enough time to register that the shop from which the two or three aggressive men were being ejected was suitably called Punch and Judy.

No comments:

Post a Comment