Friday, December 7, 2018

suburban shops


A perfect example of inter-war mock Tudor, on Coombe Lane, heading towards Kingston.  I was taking in copy (or at least the digital files) of the order of service for my mother's funeral to be printed opposite these shops, and looked up and saw this wonderful winter's sunset.  It's a row of shops that for some reason always used to fascinate me when I was small: I'm sure I knew that they weren't real Tudor, weren't really old - but they were very different.  What I didn't know, I'm sure, was the area's history - from the medieval Cumbe, through to the gallows that was just up the hill, and the fact that the novelist John Galsworthy was born in the road that now bears his name - where Kingston Hospital is.  The real gems, however, are the domestic architectural examples from c. 1895 through to - well, these shops, which, from the mid 30s, probably grew up to serve the large brick houses.

No comments:

Post a Comment