Tuesday, April 16, 2019

penultimate Woolf class


It's not a memorable image ... but I've fallen behind in my duty of documenting our weekly texts (and refreshments) - today, The Hours (both the book and the film version).  I found it really interesting coming to Cunningham's novel after a semester immersed in Woolf: I'd always thought of it as a text that was both self-congratulatory and encouraged the self-congratulatory in its readers: this time I appreciated more that it's a critical tour de force, in many respects.  But I also appreciated the film more - I've enjoyed it in the past; this time round I was aware how camera angle and the use of sunlight and shadowy patches in turn did a lot of Woolf's narrative work.  In turn, it took Catherine (on the right of the picture here) to make me see how whole chunks of Cunningham's text are written like film script.  If not a memorable image, it was a memorable class - the first one that not only over-ran, but that could have gone on much longer yet ...

No comments:

Post a Comment