Monday, November 11, 2019

a rant about our university "bookstore"


An extraordinary sight today - I walked into the USC "book"store (looking not for a book, but for a dongle to attach computer to a VGA) - and lo, there were Books!  They've been banished to the basement the last couple of years: that is, you can go down there and get a text book, if you're a student - but if you just want a book to read, I guess you go to an Amazon locker in the University Village.  Goodbye to browsing, etc.

But, indeed, BOOKS.  But what books?  Newt Gingrich's Trump Versus China.  Admittedly, Gingrich spoke on campus - to an event hosted by Young American for Freedom - but that was on October 29th.  We still have all of these books on display??  Who paid what, to whom?  

I won't even start to speculate about the fact that they are flanked by two other volumes, A Man Walks Into a Hardware Store and Gloryous Dance Affair.  Somehow they don't sound like real books.   

At least this raised my blood pressure to a point that I forgot, temporarily, about all the other things that were chewing away at me today ...

No comments:

Post a Comment