Monday, November 4, 2019

some lichen that wants to be an owl


Well, maybe.  I'm always deeply skeptical of the James Elkins argument that we go around looking for - or rather, finding - faces everywhere: a form of anthropomorphizing our surroundings, perhaps; an act of safety (are they looking for me? are they out to get me?) and probably of paranoia (there's another face!  It's looking at me!).  I've never found that I see faces at all as I'm walking about.  On the one hand, perhaps that's good - I don't put any check mark in the paranoia box.  On the other - well, maybe it's related to my scarily unreliable abilities when it comes to facial recognition.  I didn't see a face in this tree trunk, either - -just some rather fine lichenous spots.  But when I looked at the photograph itself - quite definitely a bird face.   

No comments:

Post a Comment