Wednesday, January 8, 2020

bread making


Here's the first slice, flying off the loaf!  No, not my triumph, but Alice's (but you should have been able to work that out from the delicacy of her hand - a far remove from my stubby peasant-stock fingers).  

But it's not any bread.  For years - more than a decade - maybe since I've known her - Alice has waxed nostalgic about a particular loaf that her mother would bake when she was on some kind of health-diet kick in the 60s.  So the smell and taste is right up there in madeleine territory.  But Alice couldn't, for a long time, find the recipe again (which involves cornmeal, and molasses, among yet more basic ingredients).  However!  Re-discovery!  And today was the day!  I'm not a big bread eater, myself, but I avow that it was moist, and delicious, and crusty.

And you know that breadmaker?  You know, the one that is four plastic crates down in the garage, and that you excavate whilst you're putting away the Christmas decorations?  Yes!  It still works!  And you should use it more often!



No comments:

Post a Comment