Wednesday, January 29, 2020

two fires, two views, one dentist


I heard about the fire in the apartment block at the corner of Wilshire and Barrington on my drive in to work: dramatic, scary - people being rescued by helicopter from the roof; people jumping (actually, they weren't, but fast-moving news doesn't always get it right), and so on.  And then I thought: hmmmm: that's right by my dentist's, where I'm due at 2 p.m. ... By then, I'm glad to say, the fire was well out - no Grenfell Tower cladding, here.  But from the car park, I could see the blackened apartment that was well and truly burned out all too clearly.

You must have had an exciting morning! I said to both dentist and hygienist ... But that wasn't all, they said!  They'd come in to find that the Wells Fargo bank opposite was on fire, too - and maybe because of the profusion of glass, this looked equally startling (this, at any rate, was the view when I stood up from The Chair).  Unsurprisingly, the LAFD are wondering if there's some kind of connection between them: it certainly distracted me from the business of what was going on in my mouth ...


No comments:

Post a Comment