Wednesday, June 24, 2020

the feathers of a murderer


I hate house sparrows, as I know I've mentioned before: hate them, that is, here in New Mexico, where they have, once again, taken over our bluebird house.  I knew I had to do something about this ... removed their tall, scraggy, untidy nest (so unlike the delicately woven one that bluebirds make), and deal with its contents.  To my dismay, a couple of eggs had just hatched; a couple remained.  That wasn't fun.

I should say - it's perfectly legal - indeed, necessary - to destroy sparrow nests, eggs, and young (and for that matter adult sparrows) since they are an invasive species, and murder native bluebirds - eggs, chicks, even adults.  But it went against all my instincts.  I consoled myself by admiring the makings of the nest itself, using discarded sparrow feathers, which if you ignore their origins are surprisingly beautiful.




No comments:

Post a Comment