Wednesday, December 15, 2021

a cold morning


This image somehow fails to capture how spectacular this was: fresh snow on the ground (except where it had blown right off); fresh snow on the Jemez, with pink clouds above tinting the snow itself; bare branches waving around in the strong wind.  At dawn, the winds were even more powerful, and I saw a lone, large tumbleweed barreling its way up our driveway.  I know - it's another day when all I seem to offer is a weather report, but other than that I've largely spent my time reading about bark in nineteenth-century drawing manuals that tell one how best to represent trees, or about Invasive Aliens, in Dan Eatherley's very readable book of the same name - which tells one all about everything that has arrived in England from prehistoric times onwards, and that has changed the country's ecology and appearance (and that's very sensitive to the language of "alien" and "native," which will be important to my own chapter on dandelions and, yes (in a kind of lengthy aside) tumbleweed.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment