Sunday, January 9, 2022

identification of trees


Yes, I know that this is a plane tree, thank you (and yes, autumn/fall does come very late in Southern California - a lot of trees are only turning truly golden right now).

I was shocked today to find I'd mis-identified a hemlock tree - or a bunch of hemlock trees - in a painting, though, and I'm very glad that I didn't go to print thinking that they were anything other than balsam fir (for those of you hearing me pontificate about Jerome Thompson's The Belated Party on Mansfield Mountain recently, my apologies - the basic argument was sound enough, if only the trees had been hemlocks ... but they don't grow over 3,000 feet, so they have to be something else in this painting).  Happily, the Thomas Cole in USC's Fisher Museum fits my argument just as well - it's not nearly such an interesting painting, but the trees in the background are undeniably hemlocks. 

And I could have posted images more easily if Spectrum hadn't asked us to replace our modem/router - which I've done, and they are running at a scarily glacial speed, and yes - the new semester begins tomorrow, and everything is meant to be happening on line ...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment