Tuesday, October 17, 2023

her last trip to school, and her last drive home


I'll miss her.  Tomorrow morning, at the crack of dawn, a tow truck will come and take away my dearly beloved car, which has done me proud since 2007 - some 140,000 miles ago.  She'll be off to auction, and will benefit our local NPR station, LA-ist (formerly KPCC).  

As some of you know, she's become a Vulnerable Car.  She's still going very strong, but if she's out on the street - well, the catalytic converter thieves come for her (I swear - once one's been hit once, one's an easy mark, because they presume that one's replaced the missing part) - and 2007 Lexus hybrids are, apparently, peculiarly easy of access and so are catnip to local criminals.  So I've been keeping her in the garage, after the second hit.  But ... the furniture etc that I've had shipped from 20 Hillside is arriving at any moment - maybe as early as the end of this week - so I need the garage space, badly.  Alas.  It'll be a very sad parting.

And there's no chance of a new car until the sale of 20 H lumbers to its conclusion - this looks likely for mid November, now - so unless any of you LA people have a spare car sitting around needing exercise, I'll be seeing a lot of local buses in the next month.


 

2 comments:

  1. Walter GomezOctober 18, 2023

    *cue the sound of sad viols* Goodbye beautiful Lexus! I'm sorry you've been so alluring to thieves. We're so grateful to have been able to drive you over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a sad day - she was a lovely car ... and thank *you* for being so good to her, too ...

    ReplyDelete