Monday, November 20, 2023

experiments with squash




It's the time of the year when different types of squash proliferate - at least, they do in our Farm Vegetable Box.  Lots of butternut squash, and what's probably my favorite, delicata - and today, kabocha.  It lived up to its on-line reputation (once I'd hacked my way into it - a small chain-saw would have helped) of being sweet and slightly floury, like chestnuts.  I baked it (once the seeds were removed and it was sliced up) with miso sauce and ginger, and much recommend it.

And why, yes, if the background should look weirdly familiar but out of place - I couldn't bear to leave all the kitchen tiles at 20 Hillside to their fate, so a neighbor helped me wrench off the hatch door, and I carted it all the way back to LA, where it's acting as a kind of backsplash in our own kitchen.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment