Saturday, August 24, 2013

foreshadowing fall


I know it's only August, but with only 36 hours - eek - to go before my first class of the academic year, it must, according to some forms of logic, be Fall.  And here are some harbingers - a prematurely orange leaf from the ornamental pear in our back yard, and a mystery fruit.  In some ways, it's not a mystery fruit at all, of course - it's a tiny, tiny, perfect Meyer lemon.  But did it form and fall from the tree that's full of some kind of currently green fruit? - I swear this looked like an orange to me, last spring, but a friend this morning also swears it's a Meyer lemon tree.  Or was it dropped by a passing squirrel?  I'll report at some later date about the identity of the citrus, but for now, it's enough to note that fall will, soon, be heading this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment