Monday, November 27, 2017

late autumn in Oxford


or even, I suppose, early winter.  An early-ish walk in the University Parks this morning (with two dogs); admiring the lone heron who's standing somewhere in the larger island; and processing (as I have been all day), being back here, where - in toto - I spent 21 years of my life.  It's all both deeply nostalgic and a radical experience of difference.  Speaking to Victorian graduates in the English Faculty today (about my new work on attentive looking, ecological awareness, what it means to look at this material in the light of today's environmental state of crisis, and so on) made me feel so grateful about the intellectual fierceness back in the US that makes us - makes me, anyway - think about questions, not themes.  So, in the end, I guess that this is what I was talking about ...

No comments:

Post a Comment