Wednesday, November 15, 2017

the beauties of Banff


The map made it look as though it would be a relatively easy (if bracing) walk to the Banff Centre from my hotel.  Hmmm.  I don't think that the map can have been to scale.  By the time that the street lights ran out, and the sidewalks disappeared, and ice took their place, and it had started to snow, I came to the conclusion that I'd made a crazy decision, and turned around - just about at the point that a large stuffed buffalo head stared out at me from someone's front yard installation.  Mercifully, a cab - a hailable cab - appeared at that moment, too.  Lyft and Uber aren't allowed to operate in Banff, which obviously would have made eveything much easier.  So I managed to get to NAVSA's opening reception, well-exercised ...

Here's a downtown view;


some local residents on a bench;


and the very pleasing view from my room (there are, indeed, advantages in not being at the conference centre, like being downtown ...).


No comments:

Post a Comment