Tuesday, July 10, 2018

a quiet dawn


A quiet dawn seen from our living room.  One might think of it as hazy; one might also consider it polluted - certainly, by mid afternoon, it was distinctly smelling of smoke.  I was heading back from USC when I saw a great plume of smoke go up, just to the north west of Griffith Park Observatory - I drove faster than I should to get home, to make sure that the indignant cats were within reach of carriers (why was there a mouse hiding under the carriers, which were on the back steps, and to put into practice my rehearsed-in-my-mind-but-not-in-practice drill of grabbing my most precious pictures, some photographs, my passport, and so on - and having stuff ready to evacuate in the front hall.  Happily, it didn't come to that.  Why, however, didn't I take a photo of the fire, dramatic as it was?  It would, I later realized, have seemed like fiddling whilst Rome burned - the most apt available simile - but I'm amazed that the thought didn't even cross my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment