Thursday, July 19, 2018

broken candlestick


There's no hidden symbolism here - sometimes a broken candlestick is just a broken candlestick.  This is one of a pair I've had a long long time - back to Oxford days - and I can't even remember how this one got smashed - but it's one of those things that I've kept; that has a strange half-existence in the back yard, because I like the color of the glass ... And this corner of light and shade, which sprung into visibility as I was watering this morning, is a perfect example of one of my original reasons for starting this blog: an exercise in attentive looking; a deliberate finding something beautiful or worthy of visual note every day, no matter how unpropitious the general circumstances.

2 comments:

  1. and thank *you* for reading! (I'm such a big admirer of your work - and recognize, very often, the same spirit of celebrating beautiful ordinariness ...)

    ReplyDelete