Saturday, April 18, 2020

all one mushroom


This single and singular mushroom was in our produce box this week (they have a fine selection of funghi: one just imagines that restaurants are no longer the active market that they were ...).  I have no idea what this was - maybe hen of the woods? - it's not on offer next week.  It reminds me, in its unusualness but edibility, of the time that my uncle Don cheerfully went off gathering funghi in Cumberland with my cousins, and me, and my father (his brother) - showing us what was, and wasn't edible, and coming back with a fine haul of miscellaneous mushrooms ... to my mother's horror.  She thought we would all be poisoned.  But we weren't ... I can't remember how those ones were consumed: these, fried up with some onion and garlic, found their way into an omelette together with some goat's cheese and some cut up left-over asparagus (all the above courtesy of the produce box, too.  What would we do without it?).,

No comments:

Post a Comment