Friday, April 24, 2020

nasturtiums at night


... by way of an experiment: using the iPhone's Night Photography feature - i.e., no flash,  Basically, of course, this just means a three second exposure: a mini tripod would have helped, as would a still, quiet night.  As it is, there's a hot Santa Ana wind blowing, at the end of a hot day.  But unlike poppies, which shut themselves up when there's no sun-worshipping to be done, the nasturtiums stay open and awake.  They, too, are part of my wildflower seeding ...

... although not deliberately.  Try as I can, I really can't bring myself to like nasturtiums.  I think this has everything to do with the fact that all the early ones that I met - when I was about four - invariably had earwigs in them.  I hate earwigs.  They are the only insect I really, truly, detest.  I'm sure that for someone (another earwig?) they have their attractions, but other than being one of the very few non-social insect species to show maternal care, I can't think of any.  Tennyson called them battle-twigs, which is decidedly less body-invasive: I guess that's Lincolnshire usage?  Anyway, I didn't run into any this evening, which was a relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment