Thursday, April 9, 2020

the best kind of breakfast reading ... (and many heartfelt thank-yous)


To everyone who's reached out today - thank you so much! - it means a lot, but especially I'm really happy to be the source of good news at this elongatedly awful time (with that in mind, I'm pleased to be able to take my fellowship in 2021-22, when at least we should know what the parameters of the New Normal may be).  I know many of you have, over the years, heard me speak about lichen and slugs and seaweed, and have helped this along by inviting me to talk, or by asking great questions, thank you, indeed!  For those of you who, on the other hand, are thinking - slugs? - here's what USC put together today: 
https://dornsife.usc.edu/news/stories/3194/kate-flint-wins-guggenheim-fellowship/

I'm intrigued, indeed, that this ended up in Fine Arts Research - clearly imaginative reshuffling takes place somewhere in these processes!  Because I applied under "Literary criticism and theory," figuring that this interdisciplinary stuff could belong anywhere, and that I might well have more - what should I say? name recognition in lit studies.  I think I put down Art History as secondary field, all the same.  The takeaway - what I always tell people putting in for grants: write for a fairly general audience.

Now I'm slinking off, since tooting my own trumpet - is that an Americanism as well as a Britishism? - doesn't come all that easily (that tendency is certainly fully British) - but I just wanted to offer heartfelt thanks to everyone who's been a part of this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment