Monday, December 21, 2020

The Convergence


I promise you that Jupiter and Saturn are there, in close proximity to one another - as close as they've been - and visible - since March 4th 1226, when I wasn't around, and I won't be in 2080, either.  Mind you, they are still 450 million miles apart ... Interestingly, they photograph like one bright star - at least they do, here - whereas to my naked eye they are very distinct.  And they looked even brighter half an hour later - but I wanted the sunset silhouettes, too (besides, it's getting cold outside).  
 
If you're still looking, head upwards from the center left of the big tree: one could be forgiven for mistaking the brightness of the nearly-overlapping planets for a speck of dust on the lens ...

And let us, let us hope that this conjunction, and the winter solstice - the days are getting longer!  the days are getting longer! - are a good omen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment