Monday, March 29, 2021

the wrecking ball at work



I wrote a couple of weeks back about the demolition of some of the old LAC hospital buildings - not, though, the extraordinary, huge white building that looks as though it was designed by Antonio Sant'Elia, and which houses the main LAC-USC hospital - "County," although it used to be known as the General Hospital, and in fact appears briefly in the title sequence of - guess what - General HospitalThat was designed by a consortium of architects, the Allied Architects Association, and was built between 1927-33, in Art Deco style - so not really that remote from Sant'Elia.  I need to make a trip there when I won't have to explain myself (and get my temperature checked at the door, and the rest of it), and look at its architecture properly - in digging around I found that the concrete statues outside are by Salvatore Cartaino Scarpitta, who was Sicilian, and studied at the Instituto di Belli Arti in Palermo and Rome before coming to the US in 1910 - and he made a bust of Mussolini that Il Duce displayed c.1935 in Rome (and his son, and other members of his family, were completely fascinating too, and I'd better stop, because I feel a research rabbit-hole coming on, and I have far too many other things I should be doing right now).  

But - the building that was starting to come down the other week - in readiness for the new Wellness Village - it's nearly gone.  I wish that parking had been easier - both of these images involved me stopping quite illegally (and very conspicuously) in No Parking tow-zones ...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment